Workshop: Introduction to creative coding with vvvv
Learn how to create interactive installations from scratch!
In this workshop, participants will get to know the essentials to work with the creative-coding tool kit vvvv – a tool that allows you to design real-time interactive visuals in a faster way.
What is vvvv?
vvvv is a visual live-programming environment with a focus on creative-coding.
Areas of application span across the following:
- large-scale interactive experiences
- utility apps that can be deployed to app stores
- headless IOT apps running on Linux
vvvv is visual in a sense that you don’t have to write code (but you still can, if you want to, add in some C#). And with vvvv you’re always live-coding in a sense that every change you make to your program is immediately applied and you don’t have to wait for your program to be compiled and restart. In development since more than 20 years, vvvv is in use by a wide-range of developers worldwide and should not be missed in any creative-coders toolbox.
And last but not least: the vvvv community has also kick-started NODE itself!
We offer three types of tickets from which you can choose the one that suits you best – please choose freely! We would be glad if you supported our program by buying a ticket. If you can’t afford the ticket, you are welcome to choose the supported ticket.
Who is the workshop for?
- anyone interested
- students in “multimedia” related studies
- people afraid of coding 🙂 or
- creative coders who’re up for learning something new
- programmers who want to get things done faster
- architects and sesigners who are interested in interactivity
- the lazy ones who want to get things done without too much fuzz
What will you learn?
- install and run vvvv in < 1 minute
- create a simple interactive tool from scratch
- give you an overview of possibilities
- leave you with an idea of what steps to take next to dive deeper
What do you need to bring?
- a laptop running Windows 10 or 11
- a 3 button mouse
- The workshop will be held in English unless everyone present is native German speaker.
- Please bring your own windows computer and a 3-button mouse.
- We offer three types of tickets from which you can choose the one that suits you best – please choose freely. We would be glad if you supported our program by buying a ticket. If you can’t afford the ticket, you are welcome to choose the supported ticket!
- Der Workshop findet auf Englisch statt – es sei denn, alle Anwesenden sind Deutsch-Muttersprachler*innen. Das NODE Team kann mit Flüsterübersetzung auf Deutsch unterstützen.
- Bitte bringt euren eigenen Windows Computer und eine 3-Tasten-Maus mit.
- Wir bieten drei Ticketarten an, aus denen ihr frei auswählen könnt. Wir würden uns freuen, wenn Ihr unser Programm mit dem Kauf eines Tickets unterstützt. Solltet ihr euch die Gebühr nicht leisten können, könnt ihr gern das supported Ticket wählen!
Besides he teaches, works for money under the label checksum5.com and is otherwise concerned with the integration of sound, image and computer code.
For NODE he co-curated the educational program for all previous NODE Forum for Digital Arts festival editions. The program was focusing on vvvv and vl workshops, bringing together users who want to share their expertise with those eager to learn.
What is NODE+CODE?
Since 2014, the meetup invites creatives, designers, artists, coders and anyone else interested to a series of events with changing locations and thematic focuses – all related to working with code in design and the arts. We want to build a community of people interested in the creative and critical application of technology in Frankfurt and Rhein-Main.
Be part of it and share your projects, challenges and questions with the community in one of our next meetups: